Join us in celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
2020 marks the 50th anniversary of the founding of Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Nearby communities, two local tribes, and all who have visited feel the pull of Gichigami and the enduring allure of the islands. If you’ve visited, you’ve felt it too.
This year we celebrate the park’s significance, it’s rich history and promising future. Check back regularly as we add events, news, special features and more. For media inquiries, or to get involved as a partner, fill out the contact form and mention the 50th Anniversary in your comment.
Established by an act of Congress on September 26, 1970, the purpose of the park is “to conserve and develop for the benefit, inspiration, education, recreational use, and enjoyment of the public” the islands and their related geographic, scenic, and scientific values.
See the community and business partners helping us celebrate 50 years as an integral part of Wisconsin’s North Coast and learn how your business can join the celebration.
2020 and 2021 will be filled with special events celebrating the National Lakeshore.
New! The online version of the Apostle Islands 50th Anniversary Resource Stewardship Symposium
Browse official 50th Anniversary commemorative gifts, many made by local artists.
Your purchases help to support the park.
Enter to win an Apostle Islands Print
We would love to hear your Apostle Islands stories and learn what the islands mean to you. Tell us your story and be entered to win our special edition 50th Anniversary framed photograph featuring one of the Apostle’s most loved scenes. For more information please read the official give-away rules.
50th Anniversary News
- Live Zoom event “Sailing the Apostles” set for July 27th, 7p.m.There’s nothing like feeling refreshing Lake Superior spray in your face and the power of the wind in your sails. Have you dreamed of sailing the Apostle Islands?
- Explorer’s guide to the Apostle Islands just released – buy a book to support the parkApostle Islands Water Trips is an essential resource for paddlers and boaters who want to explore the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
- This month: 50th Anniversary exhibit at Washburn Cultural CenterVisit the Washburn Cultural Center to explore and enjoy the intersection between art, poetry and science this month.
- Buy and fly a 50th Anniversary burgee!Flying the flag on your boat or anywhere else you like is a great way to show your love of the islands. Get them while they last!
- Watch now: Paddling the Apostles – Sense of Adventure series premierePaddling the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is an experience like no otherContinue reading “Watch now: Paddling the Apostles – Sense of Adventure series premiere”
- You can solve Apostle Islands History Mysteries this summerThe Apostle Islands are full of nature’s beauty, wildlife and adventure. TheContinue reading “You can solve Apostle Islands History Mysteries this summer”
- Live Zoom event “Paddling the Apostles” set for May 25th, 7p.m.Have you dreamed of sea kayaking the Apostle Islands? Want to hear stories of the big lake’s power and beauty, and learn tips on how to experience it safely?
- Stockton Island prescribed burn and fuel reductions plannedObjectives of the prescribed cultural fire include restoring globally imperiled pine barrens habitat, with an emphasis on increasing blueberry (miin) production.
- Friends join with Big Top Chautauqua to celebrate Earth Day and the beauty and future of Apostle Islands National LakeshoreIt was a night of music, moving images and intriguing discussions when our friends at Lake Superior Big Top Chautauqua collaborated with the Friends of the Apostle Islands to celebrate the connection between earth day and the national lakeshore during a special edition of the Tiny Tent Show on Facebook and YouTube.
- On the Islands and on the air: Apostle Islands Symposium recap on Wisconsin Public RadioHosted by award-winning radio personality Robin Washington, the first half of the hour-long program offers a taste of several of the nearly 30 programs given at the Symposium
Become a business partner and help support the activities to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. Learn more.
Download a packet of information for media including information and images.
Download the media packet here.
You can reach us by mail at:
PO Box 1574
Bayfield, Wisconsin 54814