Join us in celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
2020 marks the 50th anniversary of the founding of Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Nearby communities, two local tribes, and all who have visited feel the pull of Gichigami and the enduring allure of the islands. If you’ve visited, you’ve felt it too.
This year we celebrate the park’s significance, it’s rich history and promising future. Check back regularly as we add events, news, special features and more. For media inquiries, or to get involved as a partner, fill out the contact form and mention the 50th Anniversary in your comment.
Enter to win an Apostle Islands Print
We would love to hear your Apostle Islands stories and learn what the islands mean to you. Tell us your story and be entered to win our special edition 50th Anniversary framed photograph featuring one of the Apostle’s most loved scenes. For more information please read the official give-away rules.
50th Anniversary News
- Where in the park is Neil? The week 11 answer is…This island is located at the mouth of Chequamegon Bay. It’s home to tiny rare birds.
- First look inside Little Sand Bay Visitor CenterNot yet open to the public, we’ve got a sneak peek!
- Friends announces Meyers Beach accessibility projectThe project will enable people with mobility issues to access the gateway to the mainland sea caves.
- Where in the park is Neil? The week 10 answer is…This island’s mineral resources have been used from Bayfield to Milwaukee and Chicago.
- Summer solstice 2020 in the Apostle IslandsWe celebrate the summer solstice – the longest day of the 50th year of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
Established by an act of Congress on September 26, 1970, the purpose of the park is “to conserve and develop for the benefit, inspiration, education, recreational use, and enjoyment of the public” the islands and their related geographic, scenic, and scientific values.
See the community and business partners helping us celebrate 50 years as an integral part of Wisconsin’s North Coast and learn how your business can join the celebration.
Become a business partner and help support the activities to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. Learn more.
Download a packet of information for media including inforamtion and images.
Download the media packet here.
You can reach us by mail at:
PO Box 1574
Bayfield, Wisconsin 54814