Join us in celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
2020 marks the 50th anniversary of the founding of Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Nearby communities, two local tribes, and all who have visited feel the pull of Gichigami and the enduring allure of the islands. If you’ve visited, you’ve felt it too.
This year we celebrate the park’s significance, it’s rich history and promising future. Check back regularly as we add events, news, special features and more. For media inquiries, or to get involved as a partner, fill out the contact form and mention the 50th Anniversary in your comment.
Established by an act of Congress on September 26, 1970, the purpose of the park is “to conserve and develop for the benefit, inspiration, education, recreational use, and enjoyment of the public” the islands and their related geographic, scenic, and scientific values.
See the community and business partners helping us celebrate 50 years as an integral part of Wisconsin’s North Coast and learn how your business can join the celebration.
2020 and 2021 will be filled with special events celebrating the National Lakeshore.
New! The online version of the Apostle Islands 50th Anniversary Resource Stewardship Symposium
Browse official 50th Anniversary commemorative gifts, many made by local artists.
Your purchases help to support the park.
50th Anniversary News
- Celebratory candles, commitment and cupcakes mark finale of 50th Anniversary festivitiesOn Saturday night, September 25, 2021 Friends of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore held a candlelight ceremony on a Lake Superior beach to celebrate, to honor, and to recommit ourselves to keeping that light burning bright as we step into the next 50 years at Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
- Wisconsin Governor issues proclamation celebrating Apostle Islands National Lakeshore and its positive impactWisconsin Governor Tony Evers issued a proclamation in honor of the park’s first half century in existence and its positive impact on the state and its people as it begins its 51st year.
- Watch now: Sense of Adventure: Inspire!In our new installment of our “Sense of Adventure” series, part of our 50th anniversary summer celebration, we will look at the many ways these islands and this lake inspire us – poetry, art, jewelry making, night photography, music, even the inspiration to connect the islands through swimming, a kind of dance among the waves.
- Luminaires on the Lake: Apostle Islands Anniversary Commemoration set for Saturday, September 25thYou’re invited to a candlelight commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, to wrap up the year-long celebration.
- History comes to life in the Apostle Islands: The maiden voyage of the Don AMuseum members and volunteers chose July 30 as the date for the “Don A’s” shakedown cruise from Little Sand Bay to Raspberry Island.
- Watch Now: ‘Sailing the Apostles,’ from our Sense of Adventure seriesThere’s nothing like feeling refreshing Lake Superior spray in your face and the power of the wind in your sails. Have you dreamed of sailing the Apostle Islands?
- Explorer’s guide to the Apostle Islands just released – buy a book to support the parkApostle Islands Water Trips is an essential resource for paddlers and boaters who want to explore the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
- This month: 50th Anniversary exhibit at Washburn Cultural CenterVisit the Washburn Cultural Center to explore and enjoy the intersection between art, poetry and science this month.
- Buy and fly a 50th Anniversary burgee!Flying the flag on your boat or anywhere else you like is a great way to show your love of the islands. Get them while they last!
- Watch now: Paddling the Apostles – Sense of Adventure series premierePaddling the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is an experience like no otherContinue reading “Watch now: Paddling the Apostles – Sense of Adventure series premiere”
Become a business partner and help support the activities to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. Learn more.
Download a packet of information for media including information and images.
Download the media packet here.
You can reach us by mail at:
PO Box 1574
Bayfield, Wisconsin 54814