Join us in celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
2020 marks the 50th anniversary of the founding of Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Nearby communities, two local tribes, and all who have visited feel the pull of Gichigami and the enduring allure of the islands. If you’ve visited, you’ve felt it too.
This year we celebrate the park’s significance, it’s rich history and promising future. Check back regularly as we add events, news, special features and more. For media inquiries, or to get involved as a partner, fill out the contact form and mention the 50th Anniversary in your comment.
Established by an act of Congress on September 26, 1970, the purpose of the park is “to conserve and develop for the benefit, inspiration, education, recreational use, and enjoyment of the public” the islands and their related geographic, scenic, and scientific values.
See the community and business partners helping us celebrate 50 years as an integral part of Wisconsin’s North Coast and learn how your business can join the celebration.
2020 and 2021 will be filled with special events celebrating the National Lakeshore.
New! The online version of the Apostle Islands 50th Anniversary Resource Stewardship Symposium
Browse official 50th Anniversary commemorative gifts, many made by local artists.
Your purchases help to support the park.
Enter to win an Apostle Islands Print
We would love to hear your Apostle Islands stories and learn what the islands mean to you. Tell us your story and be entered to win our special edition 50th Anniversary framed photograph featuring one of the Apostle’s most loved scenes. For more information please read the official give-away rules.
50th Anniversary News
- On the Islands and on the air: Apostle Islands Symposium recap on Wisconsin Public RadioHosted by award-winning radio personality Robin Washington, the first half of the hour-long program offers a taste of several of the nearly 30 programs given at the Symposium
- Friends teams up with Bigtop Chautauqua to celebrate Earth Day and the IslandsCue the stage lights, strike up the band, or at least tune in at 7 pm on Friday, April 23rd for a Tiny Tent Show celebration of Earth Day and the Islands with Bigtop Chautauqua and Friends of the Apostle Islands.
- A is for Apostle Islands—virtual book reception and reading on April 26Join this celebration of the Apostle Islands 50th and the forthcoming book A is for Apostle Islands, an ABC book for all ages!
- Watch now: celebrating the science, arts and future of the Apostle IslandsWatch, learn and enjoy hearing from experts in all aspects of the national lakeshore, as we celebrate the first 50 years of the park we love and look to the future.
- A challenge for participants and for you, as the Apostle Islands 50th Anniversary Resource Stewardship Symposium endsSaying, “stewardship starts with collaboration,” Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Superintendent Lynne Dominy closed the 2-day online symposium with three questions.
- Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Superintendent opens 50th Anniversary SymposiumLynne Dominy welcomed participants to the two-day-long virtual event and thanked everyone for “making it real” after years of planning and work.
- Resource Stewardship Symposium participant informationThe 50th Anniversary Resource Stewardship Symposium begins at 9:30am central time, Tuesday, March 30th. If you have registered to join us, here’s what you need to know.
- Program released for 50th Anniversary Resource Stewardship Symposium, March 30-31Check out the outstanding lineup of speakers for this incredible, free, online learning event.
- Apostle Islands National Lakeshore implements Federal mask requirement for COVID-19 prevention and protectionWe need everyone to protect other unvaccinated visitors and our community from the spread of this virus by continuing to practice social distancing, hand washing, and mask wearing.
- Time is short to register for 50th Anniversary Resource Stewardship Symposium, March 30-31Join us for the virtual Apostle Islands National Lakeshore 50th Anniversary Resource Stewardship Symposium on March 30-31, where twenty-six presenters will share the rich story of the Apostle Islands – from archeology, cultural resources and traditional ecological knowledge to water quality, fisheries, fire, plants, wetlands, birds, amphibians, and mammals to climate change and innovative youth programs.
Become a business partner and help support the activities to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. Learn more.
Download a packet of information for media including inforamtion and images.
Download the media packet here.
You can reach us by mail at:
PO Box 1574
Bayfield, Wisconsin 54814