Join us in celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
2020 marks the 50th anniversary of the founding of Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Nearby communities, two local tribes, and all who have visited feel the pull of Gichigami and the enduring allure of the islands. If you’ve visited, you’ve felt it too.
This year we celebrate the park’s significance, it’s rich history and promising future. Check back regularly as we add events, news, special features and more. For media inquiries, or to get involved as a partner, fill out the contact form and mention the 50th Anniversary in your comment.
Enter to win an Apostle Islands Print
We would love to hear your Apostle Islands stories and learn what the islands mean to you. Tell us your story and be entered to win our special edition 50th Anniversary framed photograph featuring one of the Apostle’s most loved scenes. For more information please read the official give-away rules.
50th Anniversary News
- Registration now open for free online Apostle Islands 50th Anniversary Resource Stewardship Symposium, March 30-31, 2021Learn about the rich cultural, ecological and natural treasures within the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
- Friends of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore receives new capacity building grant from National Park FoundationThanks to the grant and matching monies, Friends is initiating an executive director position and plans ten 50th Anniversary events in 2021.
- Happy HolidaysHappy Holidays from the Friends of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. With your help, we look forward to ringing in the next 50 years of the park we love.
- Friends 2020 Annual ReportRead our annual report for 2020. We are grateful for your support and look forward to an exciting 2021.
- Show your support on Giving Tuesday 2020Removing barriers for people of all abilities to explore the Apostle Islands is a core mission of the Friends of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Achieving that mission takes many forms and your donation can play an important role. We encourage all park lovers to “unleash your generosity” on Giving Tuesday 2020.
- A digital birthday card to the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore from the National Park ServiceEnjoy these birthday greetings from the people who work hard to make the park the world-class destination that it is.
- A digital birthday card to the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore from our partnersWe join our Friends of the Apostle Islands partners in celebrating the first 50 years of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore and we thank them for supporting the park we all love.
- Where in the park is Neil? The final answer is “making memories”On September 26, we are observing Apostle Islands National Lakeshore’s 50th anniversary. A wonderful thing about this place is that visitors tend to come here to mark special events in their own lives.
- Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Kicks Off its 50th AnniversaryApostle Islands National Lakeshore and its partners will celebrate its 50th year with a year-long series of virtual and carefully planned community events beginning on Saturday, September 26, 2020.
- Happy Birthday, Apostle Islands National Lakeshore!Click here to add your birthday wish to our digital birthday card for the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore!
Established by an act of Congress on September 26, 1970, the purpose of the park is “to conserve and develop for the benefit, inspiration, education, recreational use, and enjoyment of the public” the islands and their related geographic, scenic, and scientific values.
See the community and business partners helping us celebrate 50 years as an integral part of Wisconsin’s North Coast and learn how your business can join the celebration.
Become a business partner and help support the activities to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. Learn more.
Download a packet of information for media including inforamtion and images.
Download the media packet here.
You can reach us by mail at:
PO Box 1574
Bayfield, Wisconsin 54814