Hundreds watched day 2 of the special Resource Stewardship educational event live. Now you can watch, learn and enjoy hearing from experts in all aspects of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore as we celebrate the past and look to the future.
We invite you to watch all of the wonderful sessions, ending with Lynne Dominy’s closing remarks… a challenge to us all. The video icon in the headline signifies that video is available for that session. We’ll be adding questions and answers to individual session pages as we get those responses from our presenters.
When you’re done, let us know what you think! Share your ideas and feedback here.
This online event is supported by Friends of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, Northland College, the Apostle Islands Historic Preservation Conservancy, the National Park Foundation, the National Park Service and the Bayfield Heritage Association.
DAY 2 SESSIONS
- A singing wilderness: Songbirds of the Apostle IslandsMonitoring bird populations helps us keep an ear out for troubling changes in the island soundtrack.
- Past, present, and future of piping plovers in the Apostle IslandsPartnerships with tribal, state, and federal officials have been key to monitoring piping plovers in the islands.
- Amphibians of the Apostle IslandsThe Apostles support 6 species of salamanders and 7-9 species of frogs.
- New insights into the dynamics of Apostle Islands carnivore communitiesTo determine how human activity and footprint affect the spatiotemporal activity of wildlife on the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, we monitored the carnivore community for five years (2014-2018) using camera traps.
- Longitudinal trends and ecology of the small mammal community of the Apostle Islands NLLong-term changes in small mammal populations across the archipelago likely reflect reduction of human extractive activities following the establishment of the national lakeshore and the corresponding succession of vegetative communities.
- Are the Apostle Islands a refugia for a recently re-colonized forest carnivore? American martens on the Apostle IslandsOur findings suggest that the Apostle Islands were naturally recolonized by progeny of translocated individuals and now act as a source back to the reintroduction sites on the mainland.
- Not-so-great expectations: a vulnerability assessment for terrestrial ecosystems in Apostle Islands National LakeshoreHow might climate change affect Apostle Islands National Lakeshore? It’s a simple question with lots of potential answers!
- Resiliency and vulnerability of Apostle Islands coastal wetlandsWe investigated wetland hydrology, geomorphology, vegetation, macro-invertebrates, and fish to identify communities or wetland types that are most at risk of climate-related impacts.
- Through the eyes of 4th gradersThrough the Eyes of Fourth Graders is a book written and illustrated by students about their experiences in the natural environments of the area.
- Under the surface and Zaaga’igan Ma’iinganag (lakewolves): creating immersive life-long and life-saving connections between teens and Apostle Islands National LakeshoreIn this presentation, program directors Ian Karl and Toben Lafrançois highlight the photos and reflections from the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore’s next generation of water protectors in celebration of it’s 50th anniversary.
- Symposium closing remarksTo conclude the Symposium, Lynne Dominy delivers a challenge to you, no matter what your relationship to the national lakeshore may be.
If you love the park as we do, and feel inclined to invest in the work of the Friends, thank you. We appreciate your support at any level of giving. Suggested support levels include:
$500 Stockton Island
$250 Oak Island
$100 Sand Island
$50 Golden Anniversary
To invest in your park through the mail, download and print a donation form. It’s a PDF file (the free Adobe Acrobat Reader or similar software is required.) Enclose the form and your check made out to Friends of the Apostle Islands and mail to: Friends of the Apostle Islands, PO Box 1574, Bayfield, WI 54814.
We welcome business memberships too!